EMF, Inc. is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer for a position in Merritt Islan, Florida.
A Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for developing welding and fabrication processes, including equipment specification, tooling design, gauging, quality, and process efficiency. Provide shop-floor process information, training, and technical expertise for welding and fabrication.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- The successful candidate will be responsible for all welding application including developing welding techniques and procedures.
- Evaluate and implement use of new welding technology. Selects and recommends new welding equipment. Oversees procurement and installations of new equipment.
- Develops welding procedures and training of personnel for the utilization of new equipment.
- Interacts and provides technical support to welding production personnel. Investigates and evaluates welding defects to determine appropriate cause(s) and corrective action(s).
- Review new request for quotations for new welding requirements.
- Coordinates and provides Contract/Sales and/or Project Engineering with both welding plans and production welding estimates, including recommendations for new equipment, as applicable.
- Develop welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment to problems involving fabrication of metals, utilizing knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and engineering principles.
- Provide weld instruction and technical support to shop and aide in improving the coordination and collaboration between departments and teams.
- Plans and establishes work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet production goals for Staff.
- Leads, mentors, coaches, trains and monitors performance of team to weld, fabricate, and assemble quality products within schedule and budget.
- Maintains safe working environment, utilizes safe working methods, and works efficiently.
- Assists with implementing, communicating, and ensuring compliance with the Quality policy and procedures.
- Interprets specifications, blueprints, job orders, and company policies and procedures for team; develops process plans.
- Monitors workmanship of self and team to ensure Product specifications are achieved.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for all Welding & Fabrication activities.
- Manages all required documentation that accompanies work assignments (including travelers/data packages).
- Creates an organized and efficient work environment through implementation of Lean Manufacturing and 5-S activities.
- Performs assigned jobs efficiently, with minimal errors and high-quality workmanship.
- Possesses a dedicated work ethic to expedite all assigned tasks through the department within the guidelines of the Quality Policy and Procedures.
- Joining, fabricating, and repairing ferrous and non-ferrous metals using GTAW, GMAW, and FCAW per AWS D1,1, AWS D1.2, AWS D1.3, AWS D 1.6, and AWS D17.1; Welds both vertical and horizontal plane geometry.
- Set-up, lay-out, and tack-up of various geometries of precision frame weldments, structures, tubing and brackets to tight tolerances; fitting to +/- 0.010” tolerance.
- Uses all cranes, hoists, lifting and safety equipment according to safety requirements and industry best practices.
- Communicates defects, issues, and concerns with management; seeks guidance/instruction as needed.
Skills & Experience:
- CWI Certified – Instruction & Inspection
- 5+ years’ (3+ years’ management) experience in a metal contract manufacturing environment (preferably for US Government Prime contractors).
- Proficient in Pulse / Pulse Aluminum MIG 4043 or 5356 filler; proficient with Torch, track-torch, and plasma cutting.
- Ability to read/interpret complex blueprints, layouts, drawings, and instructions (including ANSI/ASME welding symbols).
- Lean Manufacturing principles (6S, 5-Why, Kaizen, Just-in-time, Problem Solving, Root Cause Analysis, etc.).
- Demonstrated understanding of welding standards, codes, best practices, techniques, and welding procedures.
- Demonstrated experience welding all grades of steel, alloys, and aluminum.
- Demonstrated experience in GTAW, GMAW, and FCAW welding processes; must be able to pass a welding proficiency test.
- Experience working in an AS9100 regulated environment.
- Knowledge of Geometric Tolerancing, (ANSI-Y 14.5) drawing interpretation and shop math.
- Advanced knowledge of the behavior of metals heated to welding temperatures, rates and conditions of cooling, crystallization, etc.
- Must have all required hand tools, welding tools and measuring tools to support departmental work assignments.
- Basic Microsoft office applications, MRP/ERP, and scheduling software.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering within Metallurgy, Manufacturing, Process Engineering, Welding Engineer or equivalent work experience.
- American Welding Society CWS, CWI, CWE certifications preferred.
Travel & Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs unassisted; must be able to push, pull, sit, stand, and bend up to 8 hours per day uninterrupted.
- Overtime as required to meet project goals.