Industrial Painting & Finishing Services of a Service Module Fairing Installation Tool
As a full service fabrication company, at EMF, Inc. we have the ability to take custom projects from concept to completion. This painting and finishing project was completed for a customer in the aerospace industry. Prior to finishing, we machined, fabricated, and assembled this complex installation tool which is used to simultaneously install three Orion Service Module Fairings. The aluminum surfaces were treated with a chemical conversion coating, in accordance with MIL-DTL-5541, or given a hardcoat anodized finish, in accordance with MIL-A-8625, as specified.
A hardcoat anodized finish significantly increases strength at the aluminum surface while chemical conversion coatings increase corrosion resistance without reducing electrical conductivity. Both of these treatments provide an excellent base for additional primers and coatings. An epoxy primer was used on the treated aluminum surface in conjunction with a polyurethane topcoat. In addition to painting and finishing, we provided assembly and installation of this tooling at the customer's facility in the Kennedy Space Center. For additional details regarding this fabrication and aluminum finishing project, see the table below, or contact us directly.
Request For Information On Our Services
Click Each Image To Enlarge
Fairing Installation Tool
of a Service Module Tool
Finishing Services of a Service Module Fairing Installation Tool Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Service Module Fairing Installation Tool
- Project Description
- Custom industrial painting and finishing of a service module fairing installation tool for a customer in the aerospace industry
- Capabilities/Processes Applied
- Overall Fairing Installation Tool Dimensions
- Length: 11 ft.
Width: 17 ft.
- Height: 18 ft.
Weight: 11000 lbs.
- Length: 11 ft.
- Material Finish
- Epoxy Primer, Polyurethane Topcoat, Chemical Conversion Coating per MIL-DTL-5541, Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-A-8625
- In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
- Functionality Testing
Proof Load Testing on Sub-Assemblies and Full Assemblies
- Industry for Use
- Delivery Location
- Kennedy Space Center, FL
- Standards Met
- Customer Drawings, MSFC-STD-486, ASME Y14.5, AWS D1.1, AWS D1.2, MIL-DTL-5541, Various customer standards
View Other Showcased Projects
Back to Top